|This unusual loaf recipe is a mixture of many ingredients, meat, vegetables, flour, peanut butter, even baby food.|
| ||1/4 lb.||Precooked ground hamburger|
| ||2 C||Combined of any or as many of the following: Red Beans, Black-eyed Peas, Great Northerns, Lima Beans, Kidney Beans, Pinto Beans, Soybeans.|
| ||1||Jar (about 6 ounces) any variety baby food|
| ||3/4 C||Honey or Brown sugar|
| ||3/4 C||Peanut Butter|
| ||1/4 C||Nonfat Dry Milk|
| ||1 C||Cornmeal|
| ||3/4 C||Shredded Carrots|
| ||2 C||Rolled Oats|
| ||1/2 C||Oat or Wheat Bran|
| ||2 T||Wheat Germ|
|The strange combination might not seem appetizing to people, but its perfect for birds! It is also rich in many nutrients, and perfectly healthy and acceptable snack when paired with a regular, nutritious and varied diet.
1. The night before, prepare the beans by placing them into a medium-sized saucepan. Cover the beans generously with water, then cover the pan and allow the beans to soak overnight, or 24 hours if possible.
2. The next morning, begin to heat the saucepan over medium heat. Allow the water to reach a boil, stirring it occasionally. Let the beans boil for a few minutes, then reduce the heat and allow them to simmer for about 20 minutes, checking carefully and stirring often.
3. When the beans are done cooking, they should be tender. Drain and rinse them, and set the bean aside to cool.
4. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. In a large mixing bowl, combine the hamburger, baby food, beans, peanut butter, and carrots. Add the eggs, and if desired, crush the eggshells into fine crumbs and add them as well.
5. Use an electric mixer on a high speed to thoroughly mash and beat everything together. Blend until all the ingredients are consistency, smooth and well pureed.
6. In a separate mixing bowl, combine the brown sugar, powdered milk, corn meal, oatmeal, bran, and wheat germ. Stir everything well until consistent and completely mixed.
7. Gradually add the dry mixture to the wet ingredients while mixing with the electric mixer. Once all the dry ingredients have been added mix well until you have a consistent batter.
8. Prepare two loaf pans by greasing with margarine, oil, or non-stick cooking spray. Then pour the batter into the two pans in equal amounts.
9. Place the loaf pans into the preheated oven. Bake for 30 to 45 minutes, or until top of the bread is slightly golden. Remove form the oven when it is done baking, and allow it to cool completely. Cut into slices or chunks and serve when it has cooled completely. Leftovers may be refrigerated or frozen.
These pet food recipes are submitted by other Simply Pets members for everyone to enjoy. SimplyPets makes no assurances to the nutritional value or safety of the recipes. If you are unsure if you should use a recipe listed here we recommend checking with your veterinarian.
Submit a new pet food recipe
Fatal error: Cannot use object of type DB_Error as array in /home/jpunteney/sp_includes/display_functions_inc.php on line 215