|Your bird will probably think the same. He sure wont be able to tell the treats are made with real papaya for vitamins, whole oats for fiber, and commercial birdseed to ensure he gets all the nutrition he needs. If you need a treat thats healthy but will get gobbled up like junk food, and you have some time to spare, try this recipe.
1. Preheat the oven to 200 degrees. To a food processor, add the papaya, and oats, and processor for several seconds until everything has been reduced to fine chunks.
2. Transfer the papaya mixture to a medium sized mixing bowl. Add the birdseed mixture, and stir the two together until consistent and well mixed.
3. Begin adding the honey to the mixture, a small amount at a time, while stirring to mix it in. Add as much as you need to make the whole mixture stick together and form big, sticky chunks.
4. Prepare a cookie sheet with sides, by greasing it with margarine, oil, or by spraying with non-stick cooking spray.
5. Spoon the mixture onto the prepare cookie sheet, and spread it carefully to cover the entire surface of the sheet. Try to get it as even as possible. Flatten gently with your hands.
6. Place the cookie sheet into the preheated oven. Bake it for about 1 1/2 hours. Once the mixture is done cooking, it should be slightly golden, and hard, as the honey will have caramelized.
7. Remove the sheet when the mixture is finished cooking, and allow it to cool until it is safe to handle. Once cool, carefully loosen the mixture form the pan. Then break or cut it into individual sized pieces for your pet. Store any leftovers in the refrigerator in an airtight container until ready to use.