|These bars have a rather unpleasant odor while cooking, although most birds go crazy for them.|
| ||1/4 C||Dried peas|
| ||1/4 C||Apricots (fresh or canned)|
| ||1/4 C||Nuts (any variety or mixed)|
| ||1/4 C||Mashed Banana|
| ||1/4 C||Commercially prepared pet bird seed|
| ||1/4 C||Commercially prepared bird food pellets or food mixture|
| ||1/4 C|| Apple sauce|
| ||1/4 C||Crunchy peanut butter|
|They are chock full of fruits and vegetables, plus they make use of your birds own food or seed mixture. You can even customize them by experimenting with any combination of fruits, vegetables, nuts, and seeds. Or add any other ingredients you can think of.
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Prepare all fruits and vegetables by chopping, crushing or breaking them into a size appropriate to your pet. Crush the dried peas, nuts, seed, and food pellets by placing them in a plastic baggie, sealing, and crushing them with a rolling pin or other large utensil. The apricots and banana you can mash by hand, or use a food processor or blender.
2. Add the peas, nuts, seed, and pellet mixture to a medium sized mixing bowl. Add the apricots and banana. Mix everything thoroughly using an electric mixer on a high speed if desired.
3. Place the whole egg into the blender (shell and all) and blend on the highest speed for several seconds until the shell has been reduced to such fine pieces that you cannot distinguish them in the egg mixture.
4. Add the egg to the mixture, along with the applesauce and peanut butter. Blend everything well until the egg ahs been fully incorporated into the mixture, and all the ingredients are completely consistent. You should end up with a lumpy-paste like mixture.
5. Prepare a 9 x 13 baking pan by greasing it with margarine, oil, or non-stick cooking spray. Then scrape the mixture into the prepared dish. Spread it out as evenly as possible.
6. Place the baking dish into the preheated oven, and bake for about 30 minutes. After the mixture is done cooking, remove the dish and allow it to cool completely. Once the bars are cool enough o handle, cut them into bars that are an appropriate size for your pet. Store any leftovers in the refrigerator until ready to use.
These pet food recipes are submitted by other Simply Pets members for everyone to enjoy. SimplyPets makes no assurances to the nutritional value or safety of the recipes. If you are unsure if you should use a recipe listed here we recommend checking with your veterinarian.
Submit a new pet food recipe
Fatal error: Cannot use object of type DB_Error as array in /home/jpunteney/sp_includes/display_functions_inc.php on line 215