|This sweet, sticky mixture makes the perfect snack bar for your pet bird.|
| ||2||Boxes Jiffy cornbread mix|
| ||1||Jar sweet potato baby food (2-4 ounces)|
| ||1||Jar green beans baby food (2-4 ounces)|
| ||1 C||Commercially prepared bird pellets or food mix|
| ||1||Large carrot|
| ||1/2 C||Fresh raw broccoli|
| ||1/3 C||Mixed nuts (no peanuts)|
|The bars are enriched with plenty of real wholesome food, and even make use of pets regular commercially prepared food. They are also versatile enough for you to experiment by adding your pets favorite food to the bar. Try dried fruits, vegetables, peanut butter, oatmeal or other grains, or anything else your pet might enjoy.
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. In a blender, combine the 2 whole eggs (add the shells and all) the commercially prepared bird food, carrot, broccoli, and the mixed nuts. Blend on a high speed until everything is thoroughly pureed.
2. Add the corn bread mix to a large mixing bowl. Add the egg puree, and the baby food to the corn bread mix. Then mix everything by stirring. Blend well for several minutes until all the ingredients are smooth and consistent.
3. Check the consistency of the mixture. It should be a lumpy, sticky mixture. If it seems too thick, add a bit of water or applesauce to thin it out.
4. Prepare a 13 x 9 baking dish by greasing it with margarine, oil, or non-stick cooking spray. Then scrape the mixture into the prepared baking dish. Spread it out as evenly as possible.
5. Place the baking dish into the preheated oven. Bake for about 20-30 minutes, checking carefully, until the mixture is golden brown, and a knife inserted into the center comes out clean.
6. Remove the mixture and allow it to cool for a few minutes. Then, while the mixture is still hot, use a knife to cut it into small bars. The easiest way to do this is to cut the mixture in half along the long 13 side, so you have two pieces 9 x 6.5. Then cut of these in half twice so each piece is 9 by approximately 1.5. Then cut each piece into thirds, until you have 24 bars which each measure about 3 x 1.5. If desired, you can make the bars a different size to make them more appropriate to your pet.
7. Bars are ready to be served immediately, or freeze them until ready to serve. To defrost, place a frozen bar in the refrigerator overnight and then microwave for 5-10 seconds.
These pet food recipes are submitted by other Simply Pets members for everyone to enjoy. SimplyPets makes no assurances to the nutritional value or safety of the recipes. If you are unsure if you should use a recipe listed here we recommend checking with your veterinarian.
Submit a new pet food recipe
Fatal error: Cannot use object of type DB_Error as array in /home/jpunteney/sp_includes/display_functions_inc.php on line 215