|These can also be made like regular cookies by rolling them into balls or dropping them onto a cookie sheet. They are fortified with extra calcium and are rich in vitamins and essential nutrients for your pet.
1. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Add the commercially prepared bird pellets or food mix to a blender along with the almonds and wheat grass. Blend for several seconds until all the ingredients have been reduced to crumbs or coarse powder. The almonds will supply a small amount of moisture. If necessary, stop and stir the mixture to ensure a more even blend.
2. Pour the bird pellet mixture into a large mixing bowl. Add the corn meal, flour, and powdered cuttlebone or eggshell. Mix everything well by stirring until all the ingredients are consistent and fully blended.
3. Add the eggs and baby food to the mixture. Mix everything well, either by hand, or using an electric mixer on a medium speed. Mix for several minutes, or until the mixture becomes consistent and begins to form a dough.
4. Once the dough is completely mixed, check the consistency. It should be thick and easy to shape with your hands. If the dough seems too sticky, adjust the consistency by gradually adding more flour as needed.
5. Once the dough is completed, prepare a cookie sheet by greasing it with margarine, oil, or non-stick cooking spray. Then use your hands, to form the dough into a loaf measuring 9 long, 2 wide, and about 1 high.
6. Carefully place the loaf onto the prepared cookie sheet. Place it into the preheated oven and bake it for about 20-30 minutes, or until the loaf is firm and slightly golden.
7. Once the loaf is finished cooking, remove it from the heat and allow it to cool considerably. Once the loaf is cool to the touch use a sharp knife to cut it diagonally into slices. Make these slightly smaller than human biscotti. About 1/2 wide is sufficient. You may also wish to cut each biscotti in half along the middle to make each biscotti only half as long.
8. Serve the biscotti once it is cool to the touch. Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator.