|This decadent cake is delicious and perfect for any special occasion.|
| ||1 Box||Carrot cake mix (about 18 ounces)|
| ||1 Can||Fruit cocktail, in light syrup if possible (about 16 ounces)|
| ||1 Can||Cut sweet potatoes (about 16 ounces)|
| ||1/3 C||Crushed or Powdered cuttlebone|
| ||1/2 C||Shredded or flaked coconut|
| ||1/2 C||Raisins|
| ||Peanut butter|
|The recipe will make a full size cake, which will provide several servings for even the largest bird. If you have trouble using all of the cake, it freezes well. Also, this sweet cake is perfect for people as well! Serve a few pieces to your human guests to help them celebrate your pets special day.
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees, or the temperature specified on the box of carrot cake mix.
2. Prepare the carrot cake mix according to the directions on the box, except: Use an extra egg than the box calls for. Use 4 eggs, if the box calls for 3. If it calls for 2 eggs, use 3. For a single egg, use 2. Also, use an equal amount of the syrup from the fruit cocktail and sweet potatoes to substitute for the oil called for on the box.
3. Discard any remaining syrup from the fruit cocktail and sweet potatoes. Add these fruits and vegetables to a blender and blend on a high speed until thoroughly pureed. If necessary, stop and stir the mixture, or scrape down the sides to ensure a more even mixture.
4. Once the carrot cake mix has been prepared, add the fruit puree to the batter. Add the cuttlebone as well, and then mix everything together with the electric mixer until the ingredients are completely incorporated into the mix.
5. Fold in the coconut and raisins into the batter, and stir them in by hand until they are completely and consistently mixed into the batter.
6. Prepare either a round cake pan or a 9 x 13 cake pan, by greasing it with either margarine or oil. Or, lightly mist the cake pan with non-stick cooking spray. Place the cake into the preheated oven, and bake it according to the box directions. Or, bake for about 30-40 minutes, watching the cake carefully. The cake is finished cooking when it is lightly golden and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
7. Once the cake is finished cooking, remove it from the over. Allow it to cool slightly, until it is safe to handle. Then, when the cake is still warm, remove it from the pan, if desired. Frost the cake with a thin layer of peanut butter, and sprinkle lightly with extra coconut. Slice into an appropriate size for your pet, and serve. Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator. The cake can be frozen as well.
These pet food recipes are submitted by other Simply Pets members for everyone to enjoy. SimplyPets makes no assurances to the nutritional value or safety of the recipes. If you are unsure if you should use a recipe listed here we recommend checking with your veterinarian.
Submit a new pet food recipe
Fatal error: Cannot use object of type DB_Error as array in /home/jpunteney/sp_includes/display_functions_inc.php on line 215